The Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Engineering offers a unique curriculum that grants a combined BSc degree: a biotechnology engineering degree and food engineering degree.
The four-year program combines technological and engineering areas with natural and life sciences, while integrating practical laboratory work, excursions to plants and seminar lectures given by visiting expert lecturers.
The curriculum is based on the following three areas:
1. Life Sciences and Biotechnology: microbiology, biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, biotechnology engineering, molecular biotechnology (genetic engineering).
2. Engineering: principles of biotechnology and food engineering, structure and properties of food and biological materials, thermodynamics, food plant standards, packaging, and nanotechnologies in biotechnology and food.
3. Food science: food chemistry, food analysis, nutrition, toxicology.
At the end of two years of studies, the students choose one of following two specialization study tracks:
1. Biotechnology: this track offers advanced courses in molecular biotechnology (genetic engineering), microbiology, fermentation processes, separation and recovery processes, molecular biology, immunology, etc.
2. Food engineering: the students gain expertise in this track in aspects relating to food engineering and technology, packaging, plant design, control processes, functional food, economics, marketing and management, quality control.
Regardless of the specialization track chosen, the students receive a degree that combines both areas: biotechnology engineering and food engineering.
At the end of their studies, graduates of the bachelor’s degree in biotechnology and food engineering study track receive the degree “qualified biotechnology and food engineer (BSc).”
In addition, the Technion’s Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Engineering offers several study tracks for master’s and doctoral degrees.
For additional information:
Undergraduate Studies secretary: Mrs. Einat Aviel, tel.: 04-8295608, email: email@example.com.
Graduate Studies secretary: Mrs. Anat Eshel-Gur, tel.: 04-8293070, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.